In a recent post, I have an overview on Dr. Ferrari’s training method. In this, I thought I would cover a number of training sessions that I found when researching Dr. Ferrari.
Please note that I translated these sessions to a percentage of Functional Threshold Power (FTP).
When building up threshold volume
Before the athlete starts to building threshold volume, the athlete must spend a considerable amount of volume and become efficient at Medio (81-91% of FTP).
- Week One: 10x 4min @ 98% of FTP, 2min @ 72-75% of FTP
- Week Two: 5x 8min @ 95% of FTP, 4min @ 82-85% of FTP)
- Week Three: 3x 12min @ 98% of FTP, 4min @ 72-75% of FTP
For Ironman Training
Starting off at 2x 30min and building to 4x 45min at @82-91% of FTP with 6min @ 75% of FTP
- 4x 12min @ 100% of FTP with 2-3min @ 72-75% of FTP twice a week.
Getting good on long climbs
- Week One: Twice a week ride the climb with the first half of climb 6x 6min @95-100% of FTP with 2min @ 72-75% of FTP
- Week Two: First ride, the climb with the first half of climb 7x 6min @95-100% of FTP with 2min @ 72-75% of FTP, Second ride on the climb is a time trial.
- Week Three: Twice a week ride the climb with the first half of climb 8x 6min @95-100% of FTP with 2min @ 72-75% of FTP
To read about Dr. Ferrari’s coaching methods – CLICK HERE